My experiences about Cranfield MBA ..... and beyond

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Do you manage your time or is time managing you?

David Allen, California, USA - a guru in time management who has been called one of the world’s most influential thinkers on productivity and has been a keynote speaker and facilitator for many organizations. We had the pleasure to hear him this evening.

I had attended lectures and workshops on Time management earlier, but had not been able to extract useful take-away’s from such workshops. While I was unsure of what was in store today, my motivation to attend this workshop was purely personal. I have been facing severe time constraints during this Term 1 in Cranfield MBA. The fact that 125 others students also felt the same was no consolation. Something told me that I was going wrong some where. It is just a matter of identifying it.

Since I was an early bird to the lecture theatre, I got a free book - Getting things done - authored by David Allen. It was some incentive for reaching early and taking the front seat. The beginning was good.

The fast speaking David did not spend minutes on coming to the point. He was quick to capture the attention of all with some very insightful statements. In particular, he stressed upon having “focus” on what is the desired outcome and what is the next action. His bottom-line statement was – high performers know how to focus before crisis will make them do it.

The over an hour long session was not only meaningful but thought evoking too. Quite a few amongst us were left wondering “now why did I not think of that before”. Most techniques shared by David were not some mumbo-jumbo tricks or involved high-tech gadgets. They were based on the simple philosophy of discipline, commitment and engaging in action.

The session was very useful and gave me a wake up call. I think I also found the answer to my burning question that I had walked in with – where was I going wrong? I think I knew the answer as I walked out of the lecture room.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home