My experiences about Cranfield MBA ..... and beyond

Thursday, November 11, 2004

We have made it!

36300 students, 12100 teams, 125 countries, 2190 schools registered in the L’Oréal e-Strat 5 Challenge.
Now there are just 1500 teams left in the game! Round 1 is underway – it’s time to put theory into practise, put our heads together and come up with the winning strategy. And we’d better not forget that every decision counts!
This is the L`Oréal e-Strat 5 Challenge. Three teams from Cranfield School of Management have made it. And our team comprising of Amol, Divya and myself are part of the 1500 teams that now participate in the challenge. It is an internet based challenge wherein teams of three operate in the cosmetics’ market against 3 other virtual teams. The team that creates maximum shareholder value, through an increase in stock price index, wins. So over the next few months, we have to balance our time between lectures, team meetings, WACs and reports, personal studies, sports, social events and this competition. Last year a Cranfield team came first in the UK and this adds pressure on all of us.
Many colleagues tell me that this should be easy for me, since I have already studied for my MBA in India. How I wish – this is a different ball game altogether. The orbit is different – it is global. While I experienced a good amount of learning during my previous MBA, what I am acquiring now at Cranfield is that “extra” bit which got missed out. The extras can be described as cultural sensitivity, real team learning, internationalism and divergent persectives.
L’Oreal is another element in these add-ons – a challenge of a global nature. While it may have been simplistically stated that we fight against virtual companies, the truth is we are going to fight against 1499 companies. And in reality no organisation has ever fought such a large number of players in the same industry.
As Amol, Divya and I don our thinking caps and give our best shots, we need our collective wisdom to extract the vast amount of learning we’re enjoying and to then convert it into practise – the true test of knowledge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home