My experiences about Cranfield MBA ..... and beyond

Thursday, September 30, 2004

Vote for me…………..please!

Ever since I arrived on campus, I had been wondering “how do I get to know so many new students and some facts about their countries”. Little did I realize the school had read my mind. Day 4 of our orientation started with an interesting exercise on ‘Effective team working in a multi cultural environment’. Inter-stream teams of six were made and a country assigned to each. A native student of the assigned country was made the team leader. Some background text material was provided and a short presentation had to be prepared. My team was assigned Germany and Marc Guse was our lead presenter.
Post reading and summarization of quick points, we then went to the Stream rooms just after lunch where each team shared their understanding and observations on their assigned country. There couldn’t have been a better way to get to know interesting and/or business environment related facts about six different countries.
The elections of Stream and Diversity Rep’s were scheduled next and after some pep-talk by the orienteers, the list of candidates went up significantly. Each of the candidates came up with a one minute speech to the class and then the class went to vote. In true spirit of competition that the school represents, the results gave a tie between two candidates. So the class went to vote again and what fun it was. “What if there is a tie again?” – was on everyone’s mind.
The clapping was thunderous for the winner elected to represent our Red stream – Tom Keohane (Britain) – and the clap was equally thunderous for the other candidate who lost BY JUST ONE VOTE! Wow! That was breathtaking for every one.
Meanwhile, in between the declaration of results of Stream Rep, the class had gone to vote again – this time for the Diversity Rep. And the list was even longer than that for Stream rep. I too pitched in and had come prepared with my speech –which I eventually forgot when my chance to propagate my candidature came. The orienteers came back with a smile on their faces – the class knew that the results will be out soon.
Something was definitely unique about our stream because IT WAS AGAIN A TIE – this time for the Diversity Rep – and it was a tie BETWEEN THREE OF US – including myself. By now the stream was in rolls of laughter and excitement – this was proving to be real fun. So we all voted again to chose one from the three and Rola Mikati (Lebanon) was eventually elected as Diversity representative for RED STREAM.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home