My experiences about Cranfield MBA ..... and beyond

Monday, May 10, 2010

Is our hiring process going awry!

As I continue to move along my career journey, sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly, I experience those moments of sheer intellectualism. While I wouldn't want to claim such thoughts to be earth-shattering or pioneering, I do believe in some of such thoughts very strongly.

Let me share one such thought.

I had worked for 13 years before I came to Cranfield to pursue my MBA. Across the 4 organisations in these years, I had never heard, seen or even known of Belbin team profile. During the Cranfield MBA, I was introduced to some tools including Belbin. The assessment showcased my strong and weak team profiles and to say that I was impressed with the tool would be an understatement. I was amazed. I still am.

Another 4+ years of my career have gone by post Cranfield. Yet, I am shocked at the lack of emphasis or focus on Belbin team profile from most organisations. Some organisations do get their employees to assess their Belbin's, but hardly any organisation uses the knowledge on a continuous basis.

So the moment of my sheer intellectualism was this - if I am a business owner, I would ensure that my recruitment process invests the time and effort into identifying the Belbin team profile of a candidate and use the knowledge as a key input into deciding to hire or not. If I need a "Shaper" in a role, I do not wish to hire too many Shaper's within the same team! Similarly, if I need a "Shaper", should I really be hiring a Plant - who's strength as a Shaper may be at other end of the spectrum!

I am sure there may be some readers out there who may say, "I don't like such tools because they tend to compartmentalise people into such boxes!" However, in my view, it is not about compartmentalising people; it is about using the information to make a sensible hiring decision - not just for the organisation, but also for the individual.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home