My experiences about Cranfield MBA ..... and beyond

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Phases come; Phases go!

It is funny how some stages in your life repeat, but the decision making process, the dynamics involved and perhaps the outcomes too can be radically different.

Ten years ago, when Divya and I decided to quit our plum jobs in India and pursue a second MBA at Cranfield, the considerations and decision making approach were, let's just say, simpler. It was perhaps, because we were going back to school.

Then, some months ago, I was evaluating an expat role and the opportunity to relocate to Dubai. The considerations had changed; so had the drivers of decision making. These years in UK had slowly established a rhythm in our lives; house, friends, kid and her school. Basically life had become LAU - Life As Usual!

There were the usual discussions of pro's and con's of moving. Better (perceived) lifestyle; tax-free income; luxury; more cosmopolitan culture; disruption to kid and her school; fear of unknown; etc. etc. - ever existing ingredients of a dilemma.

So we took the plunge and moved. Started a new job; found a new place to stay; a new school and a new set of faces for the kid to deal with; new neighbourhood; new currency; new cost of living - each element has had its share of shocks. Some parts of financial considerations proven totally wrong. Call it the cost of insufficient awareness. But all part of the deal we made.

My new job has made me super-busy and the satisfaction I draw from the work has been providing the adrenalin.

But am I the only one in my life? Did I miss to see the loneliness of my family? The isolation of my kid at school? The sheer joy on her face when she visited back home (i.e. UK)? The bonding reflecting in the hugs she got at her previous school?

All this makes me wonder - did I do the right thing? Was it fair to uproot them for my career aspirations, my growth?

I know most of us will have a lot of answers, possibly similar sounding too.

Change is disruptive but important; kids of expats become more adaptable; Dubai will grow on you; and so on...

But what about today? what about right now? how does one live through the change during that minute, that hour, that day?

As a corporate professional, this has been a profound reflection for me.....especially since I am introducing change in my organization. Ironical, isn't it?

I keep reminding myself what the mid-wife had advised us some years ago, "remember to see everything as a phase; it will come and go." 
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home