My experiences about Cranfield MBA ..... and beyond

Thursday, April 21, 2005

As close to reality as it can be!

The posting captures my experience of the mock interview with an external interviewer in a real life simulation.

It is 10:00 am as I walk into the room. The camera starts whizzing. Everything I say and do will be recorded. This is my mock interview but I could see hardly anything superficial about it.

Careers services at Cranfield organizes mock interviews for volunteer students each year. The setting is formal and a student is required to send in the CV and covering letter together with the details of job that one has applied for. This gives the context of the interview to the panel.

As I walk into the room, I introduce myself to Mr Simon Lugg (external) and Peter Fennah (Careers). Once I have taken the hot seat, the interview begins with all possible questions I could have imagined .....and a few more that I didn't think about. I could gauge from the questions from Simon that he had studied my documents quite well and was asking subtle questions too. Some were focusing on personality, few others on competencies.

40 minutes went by and when I was asked to put forward any questions that I may have, I knew it was coming to an end. I was then given a 15 minutes break during which I was to answer a questionnaire on how I think I did in the interview on a host of areas, etc. During this time, Simon and Peter too worked on recording their assessment about how I fared.

I rejoined them back for the feedback session. First I had to share my views about my own assessment. Then the panelists shared their views on what I did right and what I could have done better. I was also to receive copies of their assessment sheets later on.

The interview was nothing less than what I would experience in reality. It helped me understand the areas I could focus on to leverage my strengths as well as those points which I need to work upon and do better. On their part, both Simon and Peter were absolutely professional in their role and very constructive in their approach. I am sure this exercise will hold me and other students in good stead.

1 Comments:

  • Good day ##NAME##, Well I don't know what time it will be when you see this. Really interesting blog you've got there. Pretty cool stuff. Keep writing and keep it coming. Rex ##LINK##

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10 March 2006 at 01:21:00 GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home