My experiences about Cranfield MBA ..... and beyond

Monday, August 28, 2006

Change management is thy name!

Ever since we're born, we proceed on the journey called "life" - with the destination being just one. It was strange to suddenly remind myself of this undisputable fact while on a train from Midlands to back home sometime last week. Many a times, I am either catching up with my work or sleeping or reading a book. This time it was watching the facade of life go by from the window of the fast moving train.
I watched outside, enjoying the variety of life, its hues, the silence around me and yet the disturbance inside me kept knocking its knuckles every now and then. I was disturbed; quite disturbed and felt like an ocean - calm from outside; turbulence inside. I face frustrating moments in work when I see educated, professional, qualified people around me indulging in acts which I classify as "mistakes". I wondered why!!

During my journey, I was remembering Dr. Joe Jaina and his elective on Practical Change Management which I had chosen during MBA. It was a fun session and yet an enlightening one. I could still see myself playing the role of a difficult staffer to the external change management consultant Antonio - who had admitted later that he was losing his temper with my animated attitude :-)
It was not without reason why I was remembering that session. The lessons were screaming our loud in my mind - "Remember, it is people whom you are dealing with!!" Why don't managers see it?? I wondered why!

I have been a witness to how managers carry the baggage of past and form views / opinions about people and most importantly, assume that such views / opinions are correct! So many times I am tempted to ask them, "Are you sure you are correct? Or are you just being stubborn?" But of course, such a question would not go down well with them. Nor I could tell them, "Don't clutch onto the past too tightly! You shall find your hands full to embrace the future!"

In the pursuit of short term successes, so often we forget simple things about life. That it is a long journey; that you need to be kind to others; everyone is waging a hard battle like you are! That when you want to change - more than the situation, you are trying to change people. And that education, knowledge and wisdom are not the same things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home